Wednesday 18 May 2011

Day 5 - Welsh Bicknor to Ironbridge

A really tough day for me today - only 72 miles, but a dodgy knee made for an unpleasant afternoon :-(

Google Maps Link

The day started out well - we managed to leave reasonably early for a change, and had a really good run into Hereford, with me and Tom slipstreaming James whilst trying to catch Lizzie and Deano. Met up with Kim for a second breakfast in Hereford (more than one breakfast is always a good thing!), then straight off again towards Ludlow for lunch.

Unfortunately, just as we were climbing the hill into the centre of Ludlow, my right knee gave out. I knew it was a bad sign when I started limping when I got off the bike. Things got worse after lunch, but thanks to everyone slowing the pace down, Tom kindly giving me his shoe support things, and Nige and Yorky pushing me up some of the worst bit of the hills, we finally made it to Ironbridge. Phew!

I'm not sure if it was the knee trouble, but today seemed less eventful than previous days - as demonstrated by the fact that the first photo of the day came right at the end in Ironbridge itself.




I had a very nice surprise in the evening though when my parents unexpectedly turned up to say hello and join us for dinner - and also bought along some home baked flapjacks to help power us through! Thanks Ma and Pa!

I just hope my knee gets through the next 2 days, and our rest day on Saturday allows me to recover fully.....

Location:Ironbridge

2 comments:

  1. Bad news about the knee - I used to get bad knees, turned out to be that my saddle was 1/2 inch too low, so you could try tweaking yours a bit?

    If that doesn't work, make sure you're using SPDs and just use one leg...

    Si.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Si - changed my saddle height a little this morning which seemed to help. Also tried the cycling with one leg thing, but that just made my other knee hurt more!!

    ReplyDelete