Sunday 29 May 2011

Day 15 - Dunbeath to John o'Groats

A rather late blog entry, but.... we did it!! After an early start, and a very rapid 40 miles, we finally reached the end of our epic journey yesterday morning.



Google Maps Link

It was a great finish to a challenging but fun 2 weeks - with some fast cycling fueled by adrenalin, excitement (and maybe a bit of a tail wind!), following the beautiful coastline of north east Scotland. Even the weather was good, with the sun shining, giving us a fantastic view of the Orkney Islands as we went over the crest of the final hill before the long run down into John o'Groats.

It's difficult to describe how I felt as we rolled into the town - simultaneously happy, relieved, excited, and drained.... and even a little disappointed that it was all over! Whilst being relieved that the long rides and early starts are over, I think I'm really going to miss cycling to new places with everyone day after day.

After all the obligatory photos, we started the long trek back home, with the first leg via a minibus with our bikes taking us to Inverness. It really struck me then how far we had come, as we drove past towns and villages we had stayed in. This was cemented further on the next leg of the journey from Inverness to Edinburgh by train - Scotland really is a pretty big place, and we'd cycled the whole length of it.... and the length of England on top of that!

I was also thinking how strange it will be readjusting to 'normal' life after 2 weeks of early starts, cycling all day, eating ridiculous amounts of food, sleeping, and then repeat, day after day. I think I'm going to feel restless being back behind a desk at work!

I have a few more photos and videos to upload over the next couple of days, but for now I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed for the first time in over 2 weeks :-)

Location:Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment