Thursday 26 May 2011

Day 12

Today saw us start in Spean Bridge and end in Dingwall, 65 miles in total. After yesterday's europhic ride my body was going into Chernobyl.
I saw Nige make an early break my mind wanted to chase but the legs did not. My body was having a tug of war and the legs won, arghhh!

After 20 miles or so we reached Fort Augustus where we stopped for elevenses although the restaurant staff did not make us feel welcome at all. I would go as far as saying it was the most complicated cup of tea I'd ever had! We were told to serve our selves by one lady then another lady told us off for using the machine, then she said she would bring them over. Then the final nail in the coffin arrived from yes a third attendant "can someone come and collect the teas?". Arghhhhh communcation breakdown or what!!

This will now be the third time I've been to this small town once with my family back in 1997 on our Loch Ness sailing holiday and 6 months ago with my girlfriend. It's always nice coming back but I'll avoid that shambolic tea room in future!

We then rode along Loch Ness and continued along the A82, which if you don't know already is the best road in the UK. The views were excellent but not a touch on yesterday only an appearance from old Nessy would have changed that!

After a brief pit stop after a further 20 miles we hit the hardest part of the day a 15% incline, which would last 3/4 of a mile. My lungs were doing overtime and my body felt like it was pulling a 20 ton truck up a hill. I wanted to stop but realistically that was never going to happen. I arrived exhausted at the top after Yorkie and Nige. The following 20 miles to Dingwall were more pleasant but the persistant rain was starting to tell on group morale. Tomorrow we have 80 miles to do, so close now I can almost smell the finish line : ).

No comments:

Post a Comment