Saturday 14 May 2011

Day 1 - Lands End to St Austell

Day 1 complete! We managed 60 miles - which I was quite happy with until we worked out that this is less than 6% of our likely total distance :-(

Google Maps link

It has very much been a day of highs and lows - and this is not just due to all the hills. The biggest 'low', of course, was Stoke failing to win the FA Cup final - bah! What made it worse was that Deano and I missed out on a cream tea stop to ensure we made it to the hotel on time for the kick off.

Another 'low' was getting my first puncture. But on the upside, this happened outside a McDonalds, so I struck a deal with Deano where I went and got us burgers and fries, whilst he fixed my puncture :-)







On the 'high' side, we've had great weather all day - long may it last! We've been through some amazing scenery too - thanks to some great route planning from Tom and Lizzie and the most excellent Garmin GPS. Makes it so much easier to navigate through the much more attractive back roads.

Tomorrow looks like it is going to be one of our toughest days - ending with a long climb up into Dartmoor. My legs are already aching just thinking about it!

Right.... time for a cup of tea and a bit of Eurovision before bed....



Location:St Austell

No comments:

Post a Comment